Biography - Professor Inga Thorsdottir
Work address: School of Health Sciences, Læknagardur, Vatnsmyrarvegur 16, IS-101 Reykjavik
Phone: +354 525 4823/+354 842 2455
1989 Dr. Med.Sci. in Nutrition - University of Gothenburg, Sweden.
2012- Dean of the School of Health Sciences, University of Iceland.
1997- Professor in Human Nutrition, University of Iceland, School of Health Sciences (affiliation: Faculty of Food Science and Nutrition (formerly Department of Food Science, Faculty of Science) and Faculty of Nursing).
2008-2012 Dean of the Faculty of Food Science and Nutrition.
1997-2013 Head of the Unit for Nutrition Research (Landspitali-University Hospital & University of Iceland).
1995-2012 Director of the Department of Clinical Nutrition (Landspitali-University Hospital).
1998-2010 Chairman of the Icelandic Nutrition Council.
Most relevant Scientific and Specialist Work
Current and recent Icelandic
- Coordinator of several Icelandic RTD Projects
- Infant nutrition and health of 0-12 year old children: Growth, infection, asthma and ADHD
- Longitudinal population based cohort study on infant nutrition - Follow up at six years of age.
- Nutrition of School Children – few older cohort studies.-2014
- High quality protein for the elderly – Randomized clinical trial.-2014
- Icelandic groups in some international research plans, e.g. SYSDIET - Randomized clinical trial.-2014
- Steering committee for several Icelandic RTD projects-2014
- Steering committee for the School of Health Science at the University of Iceland, 2008-2012
- Member of the Icelandic Research Council, Science and Technology Policy Council, 2006-2012
- Steering committee for the University Research Liaison Office 2011-2012
Current and recent International
- Iceage2: Growth and body composition in breastfed infants
- Exclusive breastfeeding for 4 or 6 months, dietary assessment – intervention study (part of a larger study IceAge, i.e., The biological and health impact of the timing of weaning). 2004-2013
- Advisory Board “SENSE-WELL” Sensory food satisfaction in promoting healthy and sustainable eating behaviour” Principal Investigator at the University of Copenhagen and collaboration with University of Aarhus and The Technical University of Denmark 2011-
- Coordinating group of NordForsk’s Nordic Centre of Excellence Program in Food, Nutrition and Health: “SYSDIET” System biology in controlled dietary interventions and cohort studies, 2008-2012.
- Steering committee of the Nordic Nutrition Recommendations 2008-2013 who recently published: Nordic Nutrition Recommendations 2012 Integrating nutrition and physical activity. Nord 2014 Nordic Council of Ministers 2014.
- In expert groups of the Nordic Nutrition Recommendations 2008-2013: pregnancy-, pediatric-, iron-.
- Main organizer of the Nordic Nutrition Conference 2012.
- Main organizer of the 32nd International Symposium on Diabetes and Nutrition Study Group (DNSG) of the European Association for the sudy of Diabetes 2014.
- Expert for European Food Safety Authority (EFSA), 2013-2014.
- Board member in “FENS” Federation of European Nutrition Societies, 2011-
- Editorial committees/boards for scientific journals Acta Pædiatr, Public Health Nutr (to 2013), Annals of Nutr & Metab.
- Coordinator of several Icelandic RTD Projects
- Infant Nutrition in Iceland, 1995-1998.
- Effect of dietary factors on the composition of breast milk.
- Dietary Intakes of Children (various agegroups).
- Overweight and obesity of Icelandic children. Weight control (part of other projects).
- Birth weight, growth and health status later in life.
- Weight gain in pregnancy among women of normal weight, complications & postpartum weight.
- Effects of seafood intake in pregnancy and other nutritional factors in pregnancy and health.
- Bioactive substances in fish – health influences.
- Food and diabetes. Possible protective effects of Icelandic food and food habits.
- Food and diabetes. Varying composition of meals, absorption and glycemic response.
- Nutrition at young age and risk factors for CVD.
- Quality and health aspects of milk components - Properties of the Icelandic cow’s milk.
- Nutritional status of hospitalized patients – various patient groups.
- Screening method for malnutrition and evaluation programme.
- In steering committees for Icelandic projects on food: Health products from fish; Healthier meat products; Dietary Intakes of 3- and 5-year-old children – the effect of marketing of healthy food.
- Scientific committee for the School of Health Science at the University of Iceland, 2009-2011.
- Chairman of the Icelandic Nutritional Council, 1998-2010.
- Steering committee for the Icelandic Fund for Research and Education, 2004- 2010.
- Expert member of the Icelandic Directory Board for Public Health 2003-2010.
- Chair of the Research education committee of the Faculty of Science 2002- 2006.
- University of Iceland council committee on School of Health Science division into faculties, 2006-2008.
- Chairman in Icelandic experts group on pediatric nutrition, 1998-2001.
- Financial committee of the Faculty of Science, University of Iceland, 2005- 2007.
- Head of Department of Food Science, Faculty of Science, University of Iceland, 2006-2008.
- Coordinator European research project “YOUNG” Health of young European families and fish consumption, one of 20 RTD-projects of the SEAFOODplus supported by the EU’s 6th Framework Program, 2004-2009.
- Steering committee “JOBNUT” public health nutrition workforce, Leonardo Da Vinci Program, 2006-2009.
- Steering committee “ProGreens” Promotion of fruit and vegetable consumption of school children supported by the Health and Consumer Protection Directorate General (DG-SANCO), 2008-2010.
- Coordinating group NiCE Research Program Healthier Choices: Nordic YoungHealth 2009-2011.
- Expert for European Food Safety Authority (EFSA), 2008-2009.
- Steering committee “ProChildren” Promoting and Sustaining Health through Increased Vegetable and Fruit Consumption among European Schoolchildren, supported by the EU’s 5th Framework Program, 2002-2006.
- Coordinating expert group of Nordic Council of Ministers in Glycemic Index, 2004-2005.
- Coordinating group of NordForsk’s Research Program in Longitudinal Epidemiology: Prenatal and Childhood Growth in Relation to the Risk of Cardiovascular Disease 2005-2008
- Chair of expert group of the Nordic Nutrition Recommendations for pediatric nutrition, 2000-2004, publ. 2004.
- Chair of Food and Health Committee for the Swedish Research Council for Environment, Agricultural Sciences and Spatial Planning, 2004-2008.
- Icelandic delegate in a specialist group for Nordic Nutritional Recommendations published 1998 and 2004.
- Steering committee of the Diabetes and Nutrition Study Group within the Eu.Ass. Study of Diabetes 2000-2005.
- Review for scientific journals, International organizations, Nordic research councils and Nordic nutritional recommendations.
- Evaluation Committees for University positions, i.e., Associate Professors and Full Professors.
- Opponent of dissertation for doctoral degrees from Universities in the Nordic countries.
- Organization of scientific conferences, e.g. 10 Nordic Nutrition Conference (NNC), Reykjavik 2012.
- Member of European and International Nutritional Societies, EUNUTNET (European Nutrition Network), WPHN (World Public Health Nutrition Assocoation), IUNS (International Union for Nutrition Societies).
2015 The Knight's Cross of the Icelandic Order of the Falcon for Science and Research – The President of Iceland Award („Riddarakross hinnar íslensku fálkaorðu fyrir framlag til vísinda og rannsókna“).
2012 Honorary scientist at Landspitali - The National University Hospital of Iceland („Heiðursvísindamaður Landspítala”).
2011 Motivation award from Sciencefund of Landspitali - The National University Hospital of Iceland („Hvatningarstyrkur Landspítala”).
2010 Asa Wright honoree award (most prestigious scientific award in Iceland) („Ásu-verðlaunin”).
2004 Pioneering work in nutrition science in Iceland (Icelandic Food and Nutrition Society Award) („Fjöreggið”).
2001 Award for unique work at Landspitali- National University Hospital of Iceland.
Supervision in Master (MSc) and Doctor (PhD) Theses
Supervisor of 14 PhD-students who have defended their thesis. Co-supervisor of 4 PhD-students who have defended their thesis.
Supervisor or co-supervisor of 54 master degree students who have graduated.
Scientific Publications (obs Thorsdottir I or Torsdottir I)
More than 180 articles in peer reviewed journals, 115 in international journals. More than 25 scientific books and booklets.
More than 320 oral presentations and posters.
Opponent in twelve doctoral defences.